Sunday 22 September 2013

THE SWITCH



“I don’t know what it does, why should I?” Keith push Simon out of the way as he walked over to look at it. “I’ve never seen it before.”
            “But this is your house isn’t it? you should know what its for.”
            “Well, I swear I’ve never seen it before, I’m sure it wasn’t there yesterday. Bill, you was here on Tuesday, did you see it?”
            “See what?” Bill walked casually out of the kitchen, a can of beer he’d found in the fridge in his hands. “What are you talking about?”
            “This switch here.” Keith moved to the side and pointed at it. “Was this here on Tuesday?”
            “What the hell is that? No mate” he laughed. “That wasn’t there the other day. Something like that I guess we would have spotted.”
            “Let me get this right.” Simon snatched the beer from his hands “You’re telling me, than you’ve been here for over six months and you’ve never seen this switch before?”
            “Yeah, honest. I swear it wasn’t there yesterday. I’d have seen it wouldn’t I, a big red thing like that in the middle of my living room wall.”
            They all stood back, passing the beer between them as they examined the switch. It was certainly hard to imagine how they’d missed it. Keith and Bill had been playing on the Xbox all night on Tuesday, the beer stains of the wall where Keith had thrown his can when he’d lost were visible around the switch, there was even beer on the surrounding plate.
            “Well.” Bill walked over to it, “What does it do?”
            “I don’t know…” Keith clasped in head in his hands, “I’ve never seen it before.”
            “Switches don’t just appear do they?” Simon asked causing the others to stop and turn.
            “Err...” Bill frowned, “I don’t think so. Never put one in before myself, but I can’t imagine they migrate.”
            “Your being stupid the pair of you” Keith passed the now empty can back to Simon and walked over to the wall, pushing his finger on the top as he started to click it down.
            “I mean, what’s the worse that could…….”

No comments:

Post a Comment