Sunday 6 October 2013

THE INTERVIEW



“I don’t wanna go. Please don’t make me go.” Keith begged. “You know I hate them. They look at me like I don’t know what I’m talking about.”
            “Lets not go through this again, dear.” Lynn shook her head at her husband. “It’s an interview, that’s all. You’ve had loads now.”
            “I know.” Keith looked at himself in the mirror, his tie didn’t match the shirt he’d picked out, and the collar had been starched too much. “I just worry about the questions they’re going to ask. I look a right idiot when I can’t answer them properly.” He pulled his tie free again and marched back into the bedroom.
            “You should write down their questions then, so you can learn for next time. You’re not going to get any better unless you try.” She walked to the door. “Put the blue tie on, love. The one Deidre bought you for Christmas, that’s a nice one.”
            “I can’t wear that one. It’s got a stain on it from when we had dinner with Sally and Michael last month. I told you about it at the time.”
            “Well, I don’t remember. It won’t come out now though; you might as well just throw that one away then. Try the black one.”
            “Black one is for funerals. It looks wrong at an interview, sets the wrong ambiance with them.”
            “What else do you have then?” She could hear him moaning from inside the room. “Are you decent? I’m coming in.”
            Keith was sat on the bed, his shirt un-tucked around his waste as he held the two ties in his hands. The first was a comical one someone had bought him a few years ago, not at all appropriate, the other black, as Keith called it, funeral tie in the other.
            “Wear the black one with the dark blue shirt, that should look okay.”
            “Do I have to go. I really don’t feel up to it. I think I might be coming down with something.”
            “Keith Michael Brown, don’t you dare do this to me. You are not sick, just nervous, you know you have to go.”
            “Why though?”
            “Because you’re the bloody Boss.”

No comments:

Post a Comment