Friday 13 January 2012

THE COLLECTION

“You’re collecting for what?” Adam stared at the man at the door.
“I’m collecting for Hair Africa, Sir.” He showed his badge to make it official. “It’s been discovered that 30 percent of the population of Africa suffer from hair loss and we’re trying to make a difference.” He smiled as though it was something Adam should have known about.
“I’m sorry, I don’t understand…” Adam would have normally shut the door in the salesman’s face by now, but curiosity had got the better of him. “What are you collecting exactly?”
“Hair, Sir.” The man pulled a small blue plastic bag from his jacket. “All we need is a single run from your head. It’s not as though it won’t grow back now is it. Not for a man of your age and, may I say, wonderful locks.”
“Er, Thanks you.” Adam replied as he ran his fingers through his hair, it was true though, his hair was wonderful. He’d had it since an early age and had kept it clean and brushed as much as he could. “But I still don’t understand, what do you mean by a single run?”
“Ah!” the man smiled again. “That’s the easy piece. Number 24 gave me some of his a few moments ago.”
“But he’s bald?”
“Yes Sir.” The man nodded “But his back isn’t.” Adam shuddered at the thought.
“Okay, so Mr Archer gave you some of his, er hair. But I don’t understand the term a single run. What exactly do you propose to do?”
He man held up his finger knowingly, “Just one second, Sir and I will show you.” He rummaged in his bag and produced an electric clipper. With a small brush he cleaned it in front of Adam and blew a few strands of curly hair free from the blades. "It’s a Health and Safety issue.” He explained. “We can’t be having contamination between samples can we. All I need to do, Sir, is run it once through the hair; it can be on the top or the sides it doesn’t matter too much when it gets back to the depot.”
“You want to shave my head?” Adam covered his head with his hands protectively.
“No Sir. Heaven forbid, not all of it, just a small run from front to back. Everyone’s contributing.”
“I don’t care, you can’t have any.”
“I can understand I really can.” The man nodded knowingly, “But, come Monday when everyone is in the office with you, and they’ve all donated wont you feel the odd one out?”
“Well…”
“And Sir.” He continued, “Imagine the attention you’re going to get if you donate two runs.” He tapped his nose. “The women love it, I can tell you.” Adam looked back into the house, his tea would be ready in about 5 minutes, and the new episode of East Enders was just about to start. There was that young girl in finance he'd been trying to get on with.
“Oh, go on then.” Adam smiled. “You might as well take two.”

No comments:

Post a Comment