Sunday 29 January 2012

THE LAST.

It was almost impossible to comprehend that they were all gone and that I was the only one left. It’s not the fact that I’m not good, but more that the others were so much better than me. Kelly had been the first to go; he’d just not seen the mine. He’d been about twelve feet in front of me when he’d simply ceased to exists, and by the time the dust had settled there wasn’t anything left. Kelly had always been there for us, leading us on, forging ahead.

Mike and Gunner got it next, we turned a corner and walked straight into the machine gun nest, and those bastards just opened up on us. The rest of us dived for cover as they danced as the bullets tore into them. We’d lost men before, but not so quickly or as efficiently as this, it was almost as though they’d known we were coming.

“Zulu, Get up high with that rifle and see if you can clear us a path.” Goose shouted from his position. “We’ll give you cover fire.”

“Rodger.” Zulu had nodded as he slipped away, Zulu had always been the quietest of us, but his skill with a rifle was without question. I’d fired randomly before us to give cover fire but there was no visible target, but you just didn’t take the chance anymore and I’d watched him as he’d scrabbled up the side of a tower and settled with his scope.

Two shots rang clearly out over our heads and we knew there were two kills to go with them. Zulu never missed, Goose waved to me and we moved quickly round the corner, weapons raised and ready.

“Dat boys good.” Goose had called into the com as he stopped to retrieve the ammunition from the bodies. The problem was, that no matter how good our sniper was, there was always one of theirs watching you through a scope, and Gooses head had exploded into a red mist before me forcing me to throw myself back against the wall.

“Zulu, do you have a shot? Goose is down. I repeat Goose is down. Can you see the sniper?” I yelled franticly.

“Negative.” It was then that I realised I hated him for his aloofness. He’d never really been one of us; I didn’t know how old he was or even where he came from. Not that it mattered. All I heard was the click as his radio ceased to operate, followed by a flash as the mortar round found his location.

So, now it’s up to me. My mission, I’m in charge now, and I turn the corner with my gun blazing, One last dash to the target. There were two before me and I cut them down before they realised I was there. My pulse beat heavily in my chest as I cleared the end of the alley, nothing would stop me now.

“John! Get off that bloody game and take the bins out.”

“Aw. But, Mum.” I reach for the off switch.

“Don’t Aw me, Young man!” Sometimes I hate her, but I guess some civilians just don’t understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment