Wednesday 8 February 2012

THE FIX

“John, you gotta help me. Bob said I should talk to you.” Mike sat down and placed a pint in front of him. There was a pleading look behind his eyes.

“Why, what’s up with you?” John sipped at the fresh beer; he was not one to pass up a free pint. “It’s not that rash again is it? I told you to…”

“No. No.” Mike shook his head as he realised the route the conversation could go. “No, it’s not me this time. It’s Janice, I think she’s addicted. Mike said Beverly was a few years ago and you helped her off it.” John watched patiently as Bob drunk from his pint, eventually placing the pint pot on the table and licked his lips with satisfaction.

“Bob,” John nodded. “Is correct, Beverly did have some issues about a year ago, and maybe I can help. When did it start?”

“I think about three months ago.”

“Think or know? There’s a huge difference.”

“Okay, three months ago, I’d been working lots of hours, working away and all. I didn’t think anything of it when I got back, she just seemed, well, you know, frisky to see me.”

“That’s how it starts, a little at a time, boredom usually kicks it off. They start thinking they can give it up, that it’s easy. That’s how it got Beverly. Just a little here and there, before I knew it she was blowing almost all our money on it.” John looked at his pint and Bob quickly stood up and got him another.

“Thanks.” He smiled as he took the new pint in his hands. “Like I was saying, a little at a time, that’s how it starts, it’s usually boredom, it gives them that lack of attention they crave. Someone suggests something new, invites them round to their house and the next thing you know your months rent is gone. You got any idea who got her into it?”

“I have a few, her bloody sister for a start. I heard rumours she was a heavy user though after seeing her husband I wasn’t surprised. But I never thought it would happen to me.”

“You never see it coming.” John shook his head. “Then, once its here, you wonder how you ever missed it.”

“So what can I do about it? Is it too late? Is there a group I can get her into? I have to get her back, the kids need her, damn it, I need her.” Panic seemed to take over, and John reached across the table and grabbed his shoulders.

“Get it together man, people are watching.” John looked round the pub. “Don’t be daft, of course there are groups, they’re filled with people like you, trying to help. It’s not only women you know, men can be affected too. Do you remember Simon?”

“No way! Simon, the body builder?”

“Yes, seems he’d being doing if for months before anyone had any idea. He was getting his stuff from all over the place. That’s why he moved away, once people realised what he was doing, they never looked at him the same way. He lives in Scunthorpe now I think, still does it.”

“So, what can I do?”

“Best bet is to disconnect the internet, if she can’t get on EBay, you should be safe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment